Sunday, March 24, 2013

Lauhala Dress

I recently came across this Asian style dress by Lauhala. The fabric is, unfortunately, all polyester. This particular dress is style 4128. The label says "over" but I didn't flip it to see the other side. A potential clue for more information about the dress?

The dress has a Mandarin style collar and interesting bat wing-style sleeves. This kind of sleeve seemed to be popular from at least the 1940s, although I haven't seen any contemporary dresses with this style. The front opening has an interesting decorative piece - not exactly a bow, but sort of like a stiff ribbon. I've seen this same style of decoration on a Hawaiian Togs dress.

I have a Lauhala shirt and I've seen a couple of Lauhala label styles, but I haven't seen this kind before. The label is larger and more elaborate than others I've seen, with two-color embroidery. Based on the more "modern" label and the polyester fabric, I would place this dress around the early to mid-1970s.

Lauhala started as a sportswear manufacturer in 1943. Their headquarters was at 1722 Kalakaua Avenue and subsequently opened another in Hanapepe around 1965. 



A bit of trivia regarding the name of the company. The plant embroidered on the label is a Pandanus. This plant looks sort of like a cross between a palm and a mangrove and it has a fruit that looks somewhat like a pineapple. Lauhala is the Hawaiian word for Pandanus leaves used in weaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment